What You Need to Know
- Don't put anything online that you wouldn't want your classmates to see, even in email.
- Never tell anyone but your parents your password, even friends.
- Keep a record of any rude and harassing emails, text messages or postings, but do not respond. Show it to an adult.
- Don't send message when you're angry. Before clicking "send," ask yourself how you would feel if you received the message.
- Help kids who are bullied online by not joining in and showing bullying messages to an adult.
- Always be as polite online as you are in person.
- Messages that continue after the recipient asks that they stop are defined as a nuisance and are illegal. Nuisance messages that are threatening or intimidating are termed harassment and are even more illegal. It's interesting to note that nuisances and harassment are defined by the messages' receiver, not by the sender. That is, if you ask me to stop sending you messages, I have to even if I don't think there's anything wrong with my messages.